Czech Jewelry

1918-1993

From the 1890s to the late 1930s, the jewelry-makers of Gablonz, Czechoslovakia produced a distinctive and romantic style of costume jewelry utilizing Victorian revival and Art Deco designs. The vast majority of pieces were made in the north of the country around the towns of Jablonec (called Gablonz to the English speaking world), Harachov and Liberec.

The quality of glass used was exceptional. It was cut and faceted by hand in the homes of Gablonz. The metal parts were brought in from Harachov and Liberec and then assembled by hand.

Pins were usually set with multicolored pastes. Necklaces and bracelets are rarer, and the more complex the piece, the more collectible it is. Czech jewelry is often unsigned, but it sometimes marked "Czech" or "Czechoslovakia".

Stamped "filigree" work (as opposed to true hand-wound filigree) is a common feature of Czech jewelry, and the look which appears intricate and very labour intensive, is quite effective. All the metal components are in a yellow metal alloy, sometimes plated to give a white metal appearance, which is quite soft and easy to work with. The "filigree" components aer then soldered together and the stones added last.

Czech silver jewelry is marked with a woman's head with a scarf or bonnet or a rabbit or goat head (after 1955).

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License